YOUR SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Every playground owner should keep permanent records of inspections and maintenance of the playground. Nominate a competent person to do regular inspections and ensure any repair work is done and recorded. Your nominated inspector may require training to identify hazards. Any incident, which results in an injury, should be recorded and investigated.
Your records for a Safety Management System should have:
- Equipment records - location of playground(s) and all equipment, details of surfacing, the installer and installation dates, the manufacturer and warranty. Any certificates of inspection and testing (if applicable) and inspection and maintenance instructions (from the manufacturer)
- Inspection checklists and timetables
- Records of what corrective action was taken
- Maintenance procedures
- Incident reports
HOW TO USE YOUR INSPECTION CHECKLIST
The checklist is used regularly in order to maintain your playground in a safe condition. There is no such thing as the one checklist that will suit every playground. Questions will vary according to the number and types of playgrounds you have, whether the playground is in a park, school, or early childhood centre. Ask your equipment manufacturer to supply inspection information for you to maintain your particular equipment, and include it in your checklist.
Decide how often your inspections should be done. The amount of detail in your checklist will vary according to how often the playground is used
- Daily/Weekly - Routine visual inspection is required to identify obvious hazards (e.g. damage due to vandals or weather conditions) undersurfacing, all moving parts, swings, ropes, chains, tyres and sandpits.
- Monthly/Quarterly - Operational inspection is used to check equipment stability and wear in moving parts, static equipment, metal frames, timber structures, slides and linking items.
- Yearly - a qualified person should do an annual comprehensive inspection - contact the Kidsafe Playground Advisory Unit on 3854 1829 for your playground inspection.